Monument Avenue to Be Renamed Avenue
RICHMOND, Va. — Following the pending removal of the Confederate monuments on the iconic street, city officials are also planning to rename Monument Avenue to simply Avenue, sources revealed Monday.
RELATED (article continued below):
- Castleburg Brewery and Taproom offers delicious craft beer along with concerts and various events in the heart of Richmond. Follow them on Facebook to learn more.
“With all of the actual monuments coming down except for Arthur Ashe, we figured it didn’t make much sense to keep calling it Monument Avenue,” a spokesperson for the city council explained, adding that they had originally considered renaming it to Very Pretty Avenue, Pedestal Avenue, Avenue Street Road, or Cornhole Plaza.
“We even thought about giving Ashe another street, but decided that renaming the street Avenue kind of keeps the door open for future changes. Calling a street ‘Boulevard’ seemed pretty cool while we were doing it.”
The city council is expected to bring up the proposed name change at their meeting next month, then put off doing anything until for another three to four years.
- Lee Forced Into Second Surrender
- Monument Avenue Commission Recommends Replacing Stonewall Jackson Monument with Samuel L. Jackson Monument
- Monument Avenue Protesters Demand Removal of Confederate Cornhole Players
- Mayor Levar Stoney Proposes Moving Monument Avenue, Leave Monuments Behind
- GWAR’s Oderus Urungus To Be Newest Addition To Monument Avenue
- Giant Hat From Arby’s on Broad Street to Go on Jefferson Davis Monument
Leave a Reply